Book One: Left Neglected

Left Neglected, Lisa Genova



If this book is a portent of the year to come, then I am scared. In short, it was poopy. No wait, let me explain. It had a compelling premise. Sarah, a workaholic mom, is forced to slow down after a traumatic brain injury that leaves her unable to recognize anything on her left side. And in case you don't get that, the author is going to tell you that again and again and again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again.

Are you tired of me writing that? Because that's how much Lisa Genova felt the need to explain the left sided absence. Again and again and again. One of the problems is that it's told in the first person, so Sarah just keeps saying repeatedly "I can't see anything on my left. Did you know I have no concept of my left? You guys, I have no idea what my left is! OMG, what the hell does 'left' mean anyway?" GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

And also the writing is just so very dull. It felt like reading the most uninspired blog of all time. And okay, another thing, she just couldn't stop mentioning brands, so much so that I honestly wondered if they were sponsored. And either way, that's really just the height of tedium. And so heavy handed! The first 50 or so pages are just one long dirge that attempt to demonstrate just how busy and type-A Sarah is. With no sense of humor whatsoever. In short: all tell, no show.

Lastly, you can see the ending coming a mile away. And I don't like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home