Books Fortyseven to Fiftytwo

Um, how did I miss that I reached my fifty-two-books-in-a-year goal? Oh yeah, it was 4am and I was delirious after reading continuously for 23 hours. Anyhow, here's a belated, "Yay me!" And now for some quickie reviews that go beyond, "Me like book. Me want tea. Me tired."

The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins



Do you need me to tell you this is a good book? Because I can. But I must be, like, the caboose of The Hunger Games rah-rah train. Seriously, I bought into the story so quickly and I was totally on the Katniss bandwagon... and then the Games! And it's all super post-apocalyptic craziness! Because you know all these kids are going to die and the part of you that has embraced the book and the story and rules of the Games is thinking, "You go, Katniss." But the part of you that is a normal, thinking, feeling human being is like, "Noooooooooooo! How can they kill off 23 of these kids?!" My only regret is that I did not have books two and three of the trilogy on hand to read immediately after.

Love and Rockets: New Stories No. 3, Los Bros Hernandez



If you asked me to choose which Hernandez brother is my favorite, if you really twisted my arm, then I would be forced to tell you that it's Jaime. Because Maggie truly has my heart. And also because of the new Hoppers story in this issue with young Maggie/Perla. Oh boy howdy, I wasn't lying when I said that it broke my heart a little. And Ray makes an appearance! Swoon.

Austenland, Shannon Hale



Perhaps I wouldn't have chosen this book outside of a Read-a-Thon, but inside of a Read-a-Thon it's too dark to read! Wait, what?

Ok, so I liked this book because of its simple premise: a 30-something woman obsessed with Jane Austen, who has yet to find love, instead finds herself the recipient of a gift from her late great aunt. And that gift is three weeks at Pembrook Park in England, where guests dress up and pretend they're in Regency times. It's such a simple device and makes for great chick lit action. Is Mr. Darcy really that great in real life? Do you really want your fantasy or is reality better? Maybe the Wickhams of the world are more fun? In retrospect, however, I'm realizing some issues with the plot, that being the issue of what is essentially male prostitution. Yipes! Still, a terrific Read-a-Thon book.

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, Winifred Watson



Sure, I'd already seen the movie (which I liked a whole lot), but I really loved the book. There's some minor plot differences in the movie, which made reading this feel like a whole new experience. So funny! So fast paced! And pictures!

When You Reach Me, Rebecca Stead



(Wow, writing these reviews is tiring! I will try to make them more succinct.)

1979. Time travel. The $20,000 Pyramid. 12 year olds. A Wrinkle in Time. Friendship. Mystery. Sadness. Secret notes. 100% absolute goodness.

I should read this again because it was that good.

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 3: One Small Step, Brian K. Vaughn



I've been slowly working my way through this series, trying to enjoy it rather than bingeing all at once. Probably because there are so few graphic novels or comics that I read nowadays, so I want something to cling to. What I really like about this, especially where I'm at right now, is that it's not doing at all what I thought the story would be doing. There's much more action and intrigue, and while there's a strong odor of feminism, it's only part of a more complex bouquet.

Okay, sorry. I just like the series. You should read it if you like words and pictures and stories. That is all.

So, I guess that's it for me for the year! No more books until 2011.

.
.
.

;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home