Book Three: How to Have Your Second Child First

How to Have Your Second Child First, Kerry Colburn and Rob Sorensen



I don't even know if I can critique the advice in this book since my first child is still floating around in my belly, but I will do my best. It definitely made for a good read, seeing as how it's the only baby book I've read cover to cover so far, so points for that. It's organized in giant list format, so there's 100 points of advice about how to raise your child. I enjoyed and was enlightened by much of the advice ("You don't need to buy all that stuff," "The baby name you've chosen is perfect," "Don't fear the nighttime noises," "Changing tables are not imperative," and "You really can take a shower" were all great). The problem for me is that a lot of the advice was repetitive, and that got more apparent as the book went on. It's like they front loaded all the good stuff and when they got to number 45 or so they started stretching it a bit. It also started to get into whatever-you-do-is-okay-just-stop-worrying-about-it territory. Which is probably great advice, I'm sure, and not at all a bad thing, but the redundancy wore on me. Also, it feels like there were a few bits of contradictory advice. In one point they tell you not to overpack your baby bag with too much stuff, and then in another they tell you to load up your car with everything but the kitchen sink. Which is it? And then they tell you to hold off on making plans because you won't want to go anywhere for a while, and few pages later they tell you to get out and travel and go places and, hey, it's not that big a deal with a baby! I'm sure this all fits into the do-whatever-you-want-and-your-baby-will-be-fine theme, however as a first-time parent, I want to know what's what!

I know I'm acting like I know it all (hubris, what's that?). But clearly, I don't. That's why I'm reading books like this. Still, I would recommend it. If only for the fact that it's comforting to know you don't have to worry over every single detail and having actual, real-life parents remind you of that is a good, good thing.

1 Comments:

Blogger librarianista said...

I read this book too, and the one bit that stuck with me was "Everything is a phase." That is true, and surprisingly difficult (but helpful) to keep in mind because whatever is happening at the moment feels eternal. But no, the bad stuff (and the good stuff, unfortunately) usually passes remarkably quickly.

January 20, 2011 at 7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home