Book Four: Honeymoon with My Brother

Honeymoon with My Brother, Franz Wisner



Oh boy, did I dislike this. Seriously, I really really hated this book. I can find nothing redeeming to say about it. This guy comes off as a major-league asswipe through his telling of his being dumped just days before his wedding, and I can't imagine how one could think anything but, "Thank god she left him!" And then he sets off on this extended "honeymoon" with his brother, and he tries to be a travel writer, and yet all of his observations about other cultures and countries are so trite and/or don't make you at all interested in the places he's been. Not to mention many of his stories are simply about the women he sleeps with, my favorite being the sexy "model" in Prague who tries to stick around after they have sex (apparently, ladies, this is a bad thing), which freaks him out enough to lie and say he's leaving town just to get rid of her (but not before he bemoans having to do this since the sex was so very great). Seriously, this guy lives in super yikesy-ville. Or we could discuss the fact that the premise of this book is that over the course of his travels he really gets to know his brother, but his brother still just feels like a shadow of a person with no real inner life or motivations. All I can recall about him is that he liked to run. That's all. Is this because he really didn't get to know his brother at all, or because he's simply not a good writer? Probably, it's both.

I hate to be such a hater, but I can not tell you enough how much you should not read this book.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lance Sleuthe said...

You made it all the way to the end, did you?

January 30, 2011 at 10:19 PM  
Blogger arajane said...

Unfortunately, yes. Sometimes when I dislike a book that much, I get even more determined to finish it so I can feel even more righteous in my dislike of it.

January 30, 2011 at 10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home