Book Twentynine: The Magicians

The Magicians, Lev Grossman



I am sure it is a huge mistake to read all the one-star Amazon reviews of a book that you just finished and loved utterly and completely. And yet, I just did that very thing and now hate myself for it. Because I truly loved this book (more than any book I have read so far this year, I believe) and find myself becoming defensive about how great this book is and hating anyone who would think otherwise. I suspect that those who didn't like it expected it to be a true fantasy novel, which it clearly is not, and that whole "Harry Potter for adults" thing--which I'd heard about this book before reading it and even believed for the first 100 or so pages--is so very not true. These Amazon reviews seem to criticize this book for two reason: 1) They dislike the characters (a criticism that I dislike immensely and don't think holds up at all in regards to any book, as I may have said before) or 2) They disliked the mere premise of the book, that is that the fantasy books of our youth do not contain the power to make our lives better or good, no matter how magical or real they are or eventually become. At least, that's what I think the premise of the book is, and one that I think Mr. Grossman constructed a compelling novel around.

As for me, this was a wonderful Novel (capital N noted, please), the kind of Novel that you welcomely let take over your life for the few days you are reading it, and one that you are sad to see go. Also, a refreshing read when one has been consumed by bad writing for so very long. Not like I'm pointing fingers or anything.

1 Comments:

Anonymous myra-lee said...

You know, I heard some jackass on a morning show say the other day that the Stieg Larsson books are "like Harry Potter for adults." I think people will say that about anything.

July 3, 2010 at 4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home