Book Twenty: Harriet the Spy

Harriet the Spy, Louise Fitzhugh



Oh dear, another book I most certainly should have read in my youth and yet somehow neglected to do so. And honestly, why in the world did I never read this? It most certainly would have changed my life, I am sure of that.

Though perhaps I was meant to read it now. And maybe it can change my life now. Or--maybe I'm being a little dramatic, caught up in the Harriet spirit--at the very least, make it a little better. I loved the portrayal of Harriet as a realistic 11-year-old encountering problems and complicated emotions and relationships. I cried at the scene with Harriet and Ole Golly reciting "The Walrus and the Carpenter" back and forth. I understood how alone Harriet felt when no one in her class was talking to her. I admired Harriet for her unwavering determination and gusto, and sighed at her occasional failings of character. I don't know about you, but I always appreciate a good, human protagonist. Yay for Harriet!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home