Book Sixteen: Jacob Have I Loved

Jacob Have I Loved, Katherine Paterson



I guess that last book had more of an impact on me than I thought because I immediately went out and got a bunch of my old favorites from my youth, starting with this one, my most favorite book of all time (according to my 9-year-old self). My one recollection about this book is the night I finished it and I lay in my bed crying and crying until my mom found me, and I was so embarrassed that I was crying about a book I lied to her and told her I was sad because I missed my friends from camp. Huh.

Reading it again for the first time in over 25 years I can see how it really had an affect on my life, and now I can see just how much I identified with Sara Louise and maybe not in a good way.

Perhaps one can learn something from YA novels when one is less YA and more OA?

1 Comments:

Anonymous bellcurves said...

I remember reading Jacob Have I Loved in the summer of 1985, while I was on vacation on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I could relate to Louise at the time. For the longest time, it was my favorite book. Incidentally, it is one of the (probably very few) fictional books that mentions the hometown where I grew up. (It's a passage where she thinks one of her pregnant patients will have twins and should go to VA and deliver them in one of two towns there).

May 13, 2010 at 5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home