Book Seven: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Mary Anne Shaffer and Annie Barrows



I'm trying to figure out what it is about books that makes you accept and love everything about them even when you know they aren't great books. You know that they might be trite or overdone or not even well written, and yet you let them into your heart regardless. And then what about those books where you don't get that at all? Where you never really click and so their charms are useless on you. Is it just what your frame of mind happens to be at the moment you start reading? Or weird preconceptions you have about the book?

This highly popular book is 100% preciousness. And yet I think I needed a huge dose of preciousness in my life right about now. This idealized Guernsey and its residents were exactly the kind of world I wanted to imagine, even though I am sure it is so very far from any actual truth.

Did anyone out there hate this book? Can you tell me, in a tangible way, why? Or did we all buy it, hook, line and sinker? A little part of me really did want to dislike this book, and yet I shut up that little voice pretty quickly and just set out to enjoy every single word from the get-go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home