Book Eleven: Northanger Abbey

Northanger Abbey, Jane Austen



Though I loved every page of this book, it was so bittersweet since it's the last Jane Austen I hadn't yet read. What's next? Surely not one of the many modern continuing-story-of-Elizabeth-Bennett-and-Mr.-Darcy novels, or the postulations about Jane Austen's life that might be less than accurate. I was recently listening to Nancy Pearl on NPR recommend Georgette Heyer to readers in my same predicament--apparently the writing is up there with Ms. Austen's and the novels evoke the same feelings--though the covers turn me off a bit. Don't you think they look a little too romance-novel-esque? I suppose I could also read The Mysteries of Udolpho to really understand what Ms. Austen is mocking in Northanger Abbey. Or perhaps I can just start the cycle over again and re-read them all every few years or so!

I've really been enjoying taking more time lately to read. I spent a couple of hours between meetings on Thursday at a bakery with my book, some coffee, and the most delicious potato mini baguette. I hope to have many more days like this.

Northanger Abbey

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you probably already know how i feel about jane austen. sure enough, i ended up re-reading many of her books after college--i see nothing wrong with doing that. the movie versions of austen are worth a re-visit every now and then too! (colin firth!).

April 7, 2008 at 11:32 AM  
Blogger Stiletto Storytime said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 14, 2008 at 11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give Frances Burney a try! She is wonderful expecially "Evelina" and "Cecilia". She predates Austen and her books can be hard to track down but well worth it!

April 14, 2008 at 11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give Frances Burney a try! She is wonderful especially "Evelina" and "Cecilia". She predates Austen and her books can be hard to track down but well worth it!

April 14, 2008 at 11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home