Book Two: Pledged

Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities, Alexandra Robbins



A book club read. I must say, reading this book just reminded me how much I hate sororities. I thought I could be fair minded, but I don't think I can be. And, as more than one book-clubber suggested, this book may have been entirely made up, but even so I wouldn't doubt that any of this shit doesn't take place on a daily basis across America in sorority after sorority. Seriously, this covers the gamut from date rape to binge drinking to cheating to hazing to dirty monkey sex (ok, no, not the last one). I do think that the author is really trying to be fair and attempting to show the nice side of sororities, but this thin, superficial shit doesn't really go that far. Seriously, can't a person make lifelong friends and find support in other places in college without joining a sorority? While I went to a school that was, in essence, one gigantic sorority, I had wonderful friends that I met in the dorms that I loved dearly and still attempt to stay in touch with and didn't feel the need to pledge my life to a house of women who could only put me down behind my back, call me fat, and make me feel bad for being date raped. But, again, I might not be the most un-opinionated person to ask about this book.

For a good time, might I suggest reading the customer comments on the book's Amazon page?

2 Comments:

Blogger Thomas said...

Have you read "Prep" by Curtis Sittenfeld?

January 28, 2008 at 1:47 AM  
Blogger bellcurves said...

How crazy! I'm currently reading "Pledged" for a class. (This, after having read Robbins' "Overachievers" for another class last fall). Don't get me started on greek life! I have actually been asked whether college for me wasn't like a big sorority in itself. I suspect we probably had rather similar college experiences in terms of making quality friends w/o the nonsense of pledging to a houseful of cattiness. W/o passing judgment, I CAN say from previous experience as a counseling intern that many of the issues that are rumored to run rampant in sororities DID show up amongst students who came in for help. Hmmm. That's all I'll say about that.

January 28, 2008 at 7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home