Book Thirtythree: Persuasion

Persuasion, Jane Austen



Oh, Jane. How I wish you would have lived longer just so that you could have written more books for me to read. I had the impression--falsely, I now realize--that Persuasion was kind of a dud just because it's the least well known of Austen's novels, but... so untrue! It has all the best aspects of her best stories. And I love how carefully she crafts her central heroines--they always seem to be women that we wish we were or imagine ourselves to be: smart, full of wit, steadfast and true, following just the right rules of society while breaking others seemingly at the detriment to their own desires initially, but then having things work out in the long run. Anyhow, Persuasion was brilliant. Anne Elliot combined the qualities I loved of Elizabeth Bennet and Fanny Price. While reading I wondered why no one had made this into a movie, then today discovered that of course they have, and it is now on top of my Netflix queue. Of course, I will have no time to watch it since I have 19 books to read in about eight weeks. Yikes.

1 Comments:

Blogger librarianista said...

Did you watch this yet? I found the BBC version kind of lacking, especially the actress who plays the lead.

Nerdy Austenite trivia: This was the book that Emma Thompson originally wanted to adapt into a movie, but she was eventually persuaded (HA! see what I did there?) to do S&S instead. I love S&S, but I wish she could have done this one too.

December 17, 2007 at 5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home