Book Twentythree: The New York Trilogy

The New York Trilogy, Paul Auster



Each of the novellas inside this book are described on the fake pulp cover artwork leading into the stories as "existential mysteries," which seems apt. Or maybe they're literary mysteries, as they seem to be stories about writers getting involved in solving mysteries or detectives getting involved in mysteries surrounding writers. Which, having just finished the book, sounds trite, because these are really more than mysteries, and really, it isn't three novellas at all, but one book with three connected stories. Is that confusing enough?

A long time ago I read Moon Palace, which I remember enjoying, though now I couldn't even begin to tell you what it was about. And, probably, in five years or so I won't be able to tell you what this was about. Something deeper that what I've managed to grasp? Or just an enjoyable book with surprising connections? What I can say is that I really do like Auster's writing and he makes a book quite enjoyable to read.

*Addendum: I was so tired when I wrote this last night that looking back at the post I'm a little embarrassed. I may as well just have written, "Book good! Ara Jane like book! Me read good book, me go to bed. Sleep good! Zzzzzzz." Ugh.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arajane,
I thought, for kicks, I'd see if you posted any more court reviews. Nope :)

Books are cool too. I looked through all the books you've read. This is one I have read. Really a strange set of stories. The stories seemed to all mix and tie together. I wish I had something more thoughtful to post. It's been a while since I read them. The stories were very good. Something you need to read a couple times to figure out all the twists.

hope you are still playing tennis.
Brent
http://www.tennistour.org

October 20, 2007 at 8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home