Book Ten: Little Women

Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

And yet another book I never read as a little girl, which I'm sure makes me a terrible, terrible woman. But I'm trying, oh how I'm trying, to make up for it! Here's a lame thing: I thought I knew spoilers for the book (don't read on if your'e one of the two remaining people on the planet who haven't read it and don't know the plot) in that one of the sisters dies. So the whole book I'm waiting for one of them to bite it. And I'm thinking, "I hope it's not Jo! No wait, it better not be Amy! Not Meg! No, not Beth either!" And then I'm about 10 pages from the end wondering, if she didn't kill off Beth, then how in the world is one of the others going to die in so few pages? And then I get to the end and I'm thinking I must have missed something. But no, all are spared. Perhaps I was confusing the book with real life in that one of Louisa May Alcott's sisters actually passed away? Or, perhaps she does kill one of them off in the follow-up, Good Wives?

Okay, and one more thought: this made me realize that I adore stories where the plot follows the seasons. Think Anne of Green Gables or The Fountain Overflows or Meet Me in St. Louis. I'm sure it's a gimmick, and yet it's a gimmick I'm a sucker for every time.

1 Comments:

Blogger erma said...

Weird. Maybe you only read half the book. I believe it was originally published in two volumes but modern-day editions always combine the two, or so I thought. What's the last thing that happens in the book? Is anyone married?

May 3, 2012 at 11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home